Hundreds of 3-4 year-olds in Bexley borough would benefit from Liberal Democrat plans to triple funding for the early years pupil premium, which gives extra cash to nurseries, preschools and schools when they take on children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Drew Heffernan, Liberal Democrat Parliamentary candidate for Old Bexley and Sidcup said:
“This forms part of a package to build a fairer Britain and ensure no child or young person is left behind.
“Working in a school as a special educational needs officer I have seen first-hand the enormous benefits of the Liberal Democrat pupil premium policy. This expansion of the policy will give children in Bexley a brighter future, by investing in those from more deprived backgrounds to give them the best possible chance in life.
“The Liberal Democrats will provide a strong opposition to this Conservative government and stand up against cuts to local schools, including protecting and extending free school meals to all primary school students."
The cash would triple the funding to £1,000 per pupil per year - up from £302 in 2015-16, benefiting around 750 children in Bexley. This will increase the allocation for local authorities in Bexley from around £214,000 to £642,000 and will pay for every disadvantaged child who benefits to receive 570 hours of state-funded early education.
It forms part of a series of policies the Liberal Democrats are announcing ahead of launching their manifesto, with a focus on giving children and young people a brighter future.
- Helping people buy their first home for the same cost as renting, with a new model of ‘Rent to Own’ homes
- Restoring housing benefit for young people
- Creating a discounted bus pass for 16-21 year olds, giving a 66% discount
- Introducing votes at 16 for elections and referendums across the UK
As well as:
- Investing almost £7bn in our schools and colleges
- Doubling the number of businesses that take apprenticeships
- Tripling the early years pupil premium
- Protecting and extending free school meals to all primary school students